Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Favorite Things at Disney World #5


We are now in my top 5 favorite attractions at Disney World. When I thought of this list, the attractions that I thought of were ones that were “must-do’s” (Shout out to Stacey Aswad). They were things I would like to experience at least once while down there.

My top 5 are things that are my all time favorites that if the conditions are right, and the timing is right, I would like to, and probably will do multiple times while down there, maybe every time I go into a certain park, and probably a couple times a day. (The one I have for tomorrow we rode 4 times within 2 visits to that particular park.)

I am fudging a bit that this is restricted to the top 5 though. Last year we went on Tower of Terror 3 times within 2 days.  However, these are attractions I’ll do multiple times, and not just because “the line is short.”

Disney World has a lot of rides that other Amusement parks have. Dumbo can be found in variations through out the country, and probably the world. The Mad Hatter’s Tea Party is just a variation on other spinning rides in other parks. The difference is that Disney’s variations are more…Disneyfied. There is that special ingredient, whether it is a story, or a design element that makes it more appealing to the audience than the exact same ride at home.

Thus is the case with Splash Mountain.

Most every park that I’ve been to has some sort of variation on the Log Flume ride. The problem with those rides is you get on, you go around a bend, up a hill, and come down the hill. Somewhere in there you get wet to varying degrees. Usually you wait an hour for a 30 second to 2 minute experience. Really not worth it when you think about it.

However with Splash Mountain you are taken on a 10-minute adventure that climaxes with a thrilling escape and are rewarded with a spectacular conclusion.

Plus I am a sucker for a good “dark ride.”

The ride follows the continuing adventures of Bre’r Rabbit from the controversial Song of the South, in his avoidance from Bre’r Fox and Bre’r Bear. Bre’r Frog keeps warning him that he’s going to get caught one of these days, and when he does, he tricks the two bandits into throwing him into the Brier Patch, where as you are wiping water from your hair, you are witness to a spectacular celebration involving one of the largest animated props in the resort.

With more than 110 animatronic animals, it crushes anything in “the World” except it’s a small world as far as volume.

The music is catchy, and I honestly find myself singing “How Do You Do?” on a daily basis.
 (If SOPA passes, please don't kill me Disney.)

I’ve only been on Splash Mountain a few times, and was actually VERY disappointed when the ride was closed last year. But the ride is open this year, and temperatures are predicted to be in the low to mid 70’s, which is good enough for me. I know that its going to be a Zip-a-dee-do-dah day.

No comments:

Post a Comment