Monday, January 9, 2012

My Favorite things at Disney World: #15


In a little over two weeks I am heading back to Disney World. I have mentioned before my love and addiction for the “Most Magical Place on Earth” and really there is so much that goes into what makes this place so awesome. However, there are some things that I just want to experience over and over. There are things that make the experience more “Disney” than anything else. 


Sure, every theme park in America has fun rides, helpful workers and great food. Well, they have the first two anyway. But Walt Disney (The man and the company) and his Imagineers had the brilliance to make going to Disney World (and Disneyland) an experience at every single turn.

With that said, let me do some explanations. I limited my choices to 15, because, to be honest, I only thought about doing this a couple of days ago and as you can see, I can be a bit long winded with things I enjoy. There are some rides/experiences that Disney fanatics may be upset I did not list. Let me explain a few omissions.

Space Mountain/Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin: I love both of these rides, and if I did a top 20, or limited myself to just rides, these would definitely be on there. This exception could probably be true for most things I left out.

Rock n’ Roller Coaster/Mission Space: With my Hydrocephalus, and a bad experience I had riding a similar ride to Rock n’ Roller Coaster several years ago, I am a bit leery to go on either of these rides. I have gone on the milder version of Mission Space, and it may fall under the previous category.

Star Tours: Honestly, I loved the original, but the last time I went to Hollywood Studios, they were still rehabbing for the big re-opening. The idea of 50 possible scenarios, plus the detail that I know will go into the ride and the queue assures me that this WILL be one of my top 15, and most likely, in my top 10, but until I actually see it for myself, I can not judge.

La Nouba: I have heard great things about the Cirque de Soliel show, but honestly, I haven’t seen it yet, and can’t make a judgment on it.

With that being said, let’s start with #15.

Muppetvision 3-D

 


I love The Muppets. I loved them as a kid, I loved them as a teenager, and I love them even more now. The 4th wall jokes, the slapstick, the silliness, and the satire appeal to every aspect of my sense of humor.

So of course, in Muppetvision 3-D, they touch on all four again, and since The Muppets are now a Disney property, their attraction had to have all the tiny details that make it brilliant. How tiny? When you visit, and see the sign just inside the building that reads “Back in 5 minutes; key is under mat.” Look under the mat!

The queue is full of these jokes, from Gonzo and Scooter running from television screen to television screen, to old Disney jokes like a net full of jello hanging from the ceiling. (Say it fast.) You get the whole experience from the get go.

The movie itself is fun and full of cheesy 3-D effects. (paddle ball to the camera etc.) but again there are things in there that are so brilliant that not many people pay that much attention to.

In the theater there are audio-animtronic penguins in the orchestra pit that interact with the screen. Statler and Waldorf, the awesomely curmudgeon hecklers are of course in their box and in such a small detail, when a character known as the “spirit of 3-D” escapes and is bouncing on audience members heads. (You have to see it to understand fully.) They are nodding and watching it bounce. 


Now keep in mind this is in the dark and they’re box is a good 20 feet up in the corner of the theater. Most people are probably looking at the character bouncing on the heads but Disney had the forsight to make sure that the animatronics were not just sitting lifelessly.

Then there is the Swedish Chef, who is behind you the whole time as the projectionist, and does have a key part of the finale which I won’t spoil, but he’s back there the entire time, no one really is looking at him, but the fact that they made a fully functioning animatronic for a 20 second joke is fantastic.

I hope you stay with me for the next two weeks, because my love and passion for these attractions is just going to become greater, tomorrow is #14, and  I'll just let you know, that "The Crazy Potato Head" is not just a non sequitur.

No comments:

Post a Comment