Monday, March 19, 2012

I'm a Christ Follower...Deal with it.


So I am once again doing my semi monthly, mostly when I have something important that I want to say blog, and next time I write I promise to be lighter.

Now my Disney blogs have been fun to write, but sometimes you have to write something a bit more meaningful. Which is why today I have decided to just write about my Christian faith.

Okay, so I just heard the sound of about half the people reading this clicking away, so let it be.

Recently, I saw this picture on facebook.



Now I don't condemn the person who posted this, and to be honest, I just think the person who wrote it really only understood the extreme basics of what Christianity is.

Yes, as a Christ follower I do believe all of this. Is it ridiculous? Maybe to the non-believer but is it really any less believable than the big bang theory?

Anyone with rudimentary knowledge of physics or economics for that matter realizes that something cannot come from nothing. Einstein had said that there must have been something to create the universe.

Christianity is not the religion of the unintelligent. Galileo, Isaac Newton, and Blaise Pascal (among others) were all scientists who followed Christ.

So why has Christianity gotten a bad rap in the past several years?

People.

Yes, it is not Christ or God who is to blame, it is the fact that both Atheists, and many Christians do not understand what the message of the Bible actually is.

Too many people believe that Christianity is the religious of rules. You can’t do this, you can’t do that. Yes, there are “rules” and a “moral compass” in the Bible but the main message of the Bible is human fallacy.

I have heard far too many people say “well I’m going to heaven because I’m a good person.” Okay, that’s good but by who’s definition are you a “good person?” I’ll be honest and say that even if sometimes I can be “nice” I would be a fool to say I am “good”. I have flaws. I have lied, I have looked at women other than my wife, and in one way or another I have stolen.

The fact is, we are human, and we are flawed.

The message of the Bible is forgiveness. The message of Jesus is forgiveness.

The fact is that Jesus, did exist. The fact is that whether you believe that he was foretold or not, that here are similarities between him and the one that was prophesized.

The fact is that Jesus, the man, said that he would be persecuted and he was.

In ancient times, animals, and sometimes humans were slaughtered and sacrificed to appease God. Whether you believe in God or not, this happened.

Jesus came and spoke about the fallacy of humans. He said that we are all sinners, and there was no way that we could, by ourselves be completely absolved of our sins.

He made the ultimate sacrifice. He was whipped, with what would today be equivalent to barbed wire.

He had to drag his own execution device, which would be the equivalent today of 2 railroad ties several miles while people mocked him, and once again whipped him.

He had what would be equivalent to railroad spikes driven into his wrists, feet and stomach.

Pilate, the judge who convicted him of claiming to be the son of God did not want to serve this kind of punishment, even if he believed what he had done was a crime.

People, the same people he swore to save, demanded that this be done to him.

I don’t know many people who would do this for family members, much less for people from generations ahead of him.

If you are a non-believer I don’t know what I can do to convince you of my faith. I can try but its something that you have to come to yourself.

Do I believe everything that “crazy” Christian conservatives believe? If you mean forgiveness and the belief that everyone should get their shot at life, whether it they be gay, straight, handicapped or whatever. If you mean that I think that a man, who I believe was 100% Human and 100% God suffered for 2 days and died in the most inhuman possible so I could at least attempt to not beat myself up over everything I did wrong.  You’re damned right I do. I am a Christian. Judge me if you want. But that’s just the way it is.




No comments:

Post a Comment